Resource Hub

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Journal 6: Research Research Research

Step Two
My personal research for other topics has been slightly different than my research process for Core II. When it comes to developing a research process for other subjects, honestly, I can say it is very lackadaisical and effortless. In History, I would rarely received research paper assignments, but when I did I solely relied on websites. I blatantly ignored using books, journals, and other scholarly sources. I don’t know why, but I just felt the internet had everything I needed. Why waste my time going to our school library-which basically was a deserted graveyard of books- when I could simply use internet search engines? That research process pertained to other subjects like chemistry, physics, and other sciences.
However, when it came to English research everything changed. Teachers assigned papers where not only did you have to look up background information, but you had to search for literary criticism. The internet was little to know help when it came to the latter. I motivated myself enough to adventure and explore other libraries rather than our obsolete one. Books and other scholarly sources now came into play. The local library helped, but it was the nearby college’s library where I conducted my best research. This probably sounds like something that doesn’t make sense and you would be right. English research papers required more time and dedication compared to that of the science related category.
Incorporating the information explained in my second paragraph into my research for Core III will be crucial. I have already been to the library more than once during my time here at UCF, so I can say that I am familiar what lurks there. In terms of researching particular topics, I will use the help of the database and card catalog to narrow down my search and specify my topic. Insurance fraud is certainly a broad topic and by breaking it down into small categories, that will enable me to have success with my research. Books, journals, and database articles are what I am hoping to use for all of my sources. I am going to try and stay away from simply using the internet search engines.

Step Three
1. What is the more prevalent type of insurance fraud, consumer or company fraud?
2. With regulations in place for some states across the country, how will states that do not have any types of legislation against fraud ensure that customers will be protected?
3. Which sector of insurance experiences the most crimes?
4. Has insurance sales affected the frequency of fraud attempts?
5. What is in store for the future of protection against fraud?

Background information:
Advancements in the industry:
Evidence to support claims:
Opposing Arguments:
Real life examples:

Step Four

Cohen, Erika. "Insuring Against Fraud." Business NH Magazine 1 Nov. 2009:
ABI/INFORM Dateline, ProQuest. Web. 20 Feb. 2010.
Hays, Daniel. "High-tech could both facilitate, thwart frauds." National Underwriter
20 Dec. 1999: ABI/INFORM Global, ProQuest. Web. 19 Feb. 2010.

Both of these database articles provide analysis of how insurance companies are dealing with fraud. They are relevant because they target my topic and controversy that I am pursuing. Both have expert information and are beneficial to my research process.

No comments:

Post a Comment