Resource Hub

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Insurance Industry

Ever since the beginning of freshman year in high school, I feel that the insurance industry has been part of my life. My uncle, a successful insurance broker for over 30 years, had needed someone to help him out because one of his assistants had moved on from his company. Who would have thought that his Godson would fill a position that required experience and knowledge in the industry? Subsequently, not much time elapsed from his assistant leaving to me filling her position.
Let me just state some background information before I continue on. My uncle and I have an incredibly close relationship and he has played an influential role in my life. Whether it is shooting a round of golf, grabbing a bite to eat at our favorite restaurant, or simply relaxing on the sandy beaches on a family vacation, we have a Godfather and Godson bond that cannot be broken.
Working with my uncle started from a once every other weekend occurrence during my freshman year to a four day a week job beginning my senior year in high school to the present day. A routine of filing away paperwork, organizing insurance policies, and making phone calls is something that has grown on me and continues to intrigue me. My curiosity in insurance has allowed me to embrace it much more than in the early days of freshman year.
Recently during the winter break, my uncle sat me down in his office and decided it was a time for us to have a one-on-one man-to-man talk. Cutting to the chance, he elaborated and opened up that one day after I finish my collegiate education that his business would be handed over to me. After receiving that breathtaking news, I was speechless and jubilant at what lies ahead in my future. Watching what my uncle work as hard as he does every day, it motivated me to work even harder in my journey through college.
Once the news sunk in, I almost immediately wondered what life would be five to six years from now. I was eager to find all of the kinks in the industry and what I was destined for. I, for sure, would not want to spend my life in insurance dealing with a living nightmare.

Research Questions
1. Is the insurance industry one that will be affected by the fluctuating economy?
2. With the rise in corruption, can the insurance industry remain clean of fraudulent crimes?
3. How do you customers react when there is a change in power from one generation to the next?
4. Is the insurance all that is hyped up to be with all of the opportunities it offers?
5. Do larger, more powerful insurance agencies tend to influence the ways that smaller, less aggressive insurance companies operate?

1 comment:

  1. I think you've found a strong connection to your specific industry, and the controversies within it. This definitely works, Andrew.

    I think that your final question has real potential, but even the second question could work. Might need re-wording so that you're able to truly assess the real scope of the problem overall.

    Good work, sir.
    --NH

    ReplyDelete