Resource Hub

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Journal 5: Reading and Research

Analysis of the Reading

Buzzell from the beginning of his article makes it clear of what the subject is. He states the research question, of course, but then he goes on to describe himself. Blatantly, he tells us that he wants medical marijuana for technically “the wrong reason.” His personal narrative is a chronological piece that explains his trials and tribulations of trying to obtain the medical drug for his PTSD. Throughout his thought process, Buzzell uses flashbacks as well as excerpts of certain documents that further validate his personal accounts. The description and language that he effectively uses makes it appear that he is telling us the story in person. Attention to detail is a device that he is well equipped with. He never bores the reader with his narrative. For example, the time he spends on each new “story” is never too drawn out, which is because he keeps everything flowing with new, constant information. Even though he convinces the audience of his position on medical marijuana, he also mentions the complete opposite end of the spectrum. Toward the end, he begins to wrap everything up by introducing his fellow war veterans. The ending is what I personally found most ironic. After Buzzell receives the marijuana, a veteran says to him “Welcome home.” To the audience that can be a phrase that can be taken in more than one direction. As a writer, that is a perfect way to end, in my eyes.


Personal Research

Before jumping into the whole process of getting books from the library, I had to organize myself and determine which topics I would pursue. I needed to narrow down my research question and figure out the angle as to how to approach it. The insurance industry as a whole is immensely broad, which is why I chose to research the topic of fraud inside the sector. My research question explains my methodology in completing this Core II, “With the rise in corruption, can the insurance industry remain clean of fraudulent crimes?”
Once I figured all of my background information out, it was time to head to the library with a purpose. I decided to hit the internet card catalog and search for books on crimes and fraudulent acts in the insurance industry. The moment I found the first publication, the rest was smooth sailing. (I will list all of my books after I complete my library narrative). I knew not only did I need books concerning fraud, but I needed to search for books describing the history of fraud in the industry as well as a synopsis of the insurance career. My thinking was that this could provide concrete support to my personal narrative as well as my opinions and such. The good thing about finding that initial book is that, generally in the surrounding vicinity that I found the book on the shelf, others are not too far away. I felt that I struck gold picking up three additional books in the matter of inches from the first book. Typically, this is my research method in doing “research papers,” which is why I ultimately did not have trouble finding what I needed.
I will admit, the database search was something that was completely new to me. In career as a “researcher” I have never used a database search. I’ll be honest, but I was lost at the beginning of how to use the database that I needed a library assistant to help me with the task. I felt embarrassed, but at the same time I was happy that I knew how to use a database search now. Once I got the hang of it, I decided to use the ProQuest database which helped me obtain four different articles on fraud inside the insurance industry. I was able to find an interview where insurance fraud was discussed which is incredibly beneficial to my research process. After gathering four articles from that database I knew that I had substantial information, for the time being, that I needed to begin my Core II essay.
My overall experience was definitely worthwhile; I learned new things as well as building upon older skills. If there comes a time when I get lost during my compilation of the Core II essay, I will have to travel back to the library to get more fuel for my research.

Books:
1. Automobile insurance fraud study HG9970.35.F6A87
2. Risk management : computers, fraud, and insurance HG8059 .A73 1987
3. Automobile insurance : road safety, new drivers, risks, insurance fraud and regulation HG9970.4.C2A94
4. Handbook of insurance HG8061 .H36

Database Articles:
1. Insuring Against Fraud
2. FRAUD: Interview with John Beadle, Counter-Fraud Manager, RSA
3. High-tech could both facilitate, thwart frauds
4. Protect Yourself From Insurance Fraud

2 comments:

  1. Excellent work, Andrew. I'll post your library narrative as an example later. Almost everyone else decided to write interview questions, but it seems you got a lot out of this. Good stuff.

    --NH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi

    I read this post two times.

    I like it so much, please try to keep posting.

    Let me introduce other material that may be good for our community.

    Source: Library assistant interview questions

    Best regards
    Henry

    ReplyDelete